As of now, my teaching is underway and I’ll have a bump in gigs with Valentine’s Day. In this month’s newsletter: my first concert as music director, starting with SWOJO, and the 5-Minute format.
Performance and Teaching
For full listing of performances and classes, see Calendar.
- Because of Valentine’s Day, my regular due gig with Ann Reynolds at Serafina Restaurant has been moved to Friday, February 19th (9:00pm-12:00am)
- I will be directing (and possibly playing bass for) Northwest Jazz Big Band at a “Prime Rib Dance” and Northshore Senior Center – Friday, February 26th (7pm-9pm)
- I start officially playing with Seattle Women’s Jazz Orchestra (SWOJO) full-time this month and am back to playing (private) gigs with Savoy Night Owls
- I’ve started my Beginning Bass class at North Seattle College (see Courses), ensembles are underway at Jazz Night School, and am still scheduling Lessons
- Normally, I’ve had a “Practice Notes” section at the end of my monthly newsletters, but later this week, I’ll expand that into a separate monthly series called “The Art of Practice” – while it will primarily focus on musical practice, it’ll include thoughts about practice habits in general
- I’m still working on my first publication – a step-by-step guide to practicing jazz bass; however, I’ve decided to change the title to “5 Minute Jazz Bass” with the idea that each segment can be practiced in as little as five minutes at a time (or 30+ minutes total); I’m doing so because I know that a lot of my students feel pressed for time and want to start with small, manageable goals
- A few months ago, I started and eventually abandoned a project to create a History of Jazz course for Udemy; now, however, I’m hoping to revive the concept as “5 Minute Jazz History” with lightning-talk-style, 5 minute video lectures – again with the idea of catering to curious learners with busy lives