A polymath is “a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas” (Wikipedia). I’m designing Gig-Ready Jazz Bassist for aspiring polymaths like me. The challenge is figuring out the quickest, most effective ways to learn complex and/or complicated things. Rather than slogging through cognitive psychology and the like, I’ve decided to road-test learning strategies in the following 10 areas, listed alphabetically:
- Composition: Need to learn to teach improvisation and write original music, not sure what kinds of DIY learning resources exist
- Dance: Want to (re-)learn certain dance forms (bellydance, jazz, hip-hop) now that I’ve been doing yoga for a while, will probably rely on YouTube videos, etc.
- Drawing: Want to finally learn how to hand-draw comics after years of doing web comics, will have to sort through numerous resources
- Freelancing: Need/want to learn enough to successfully run my business, already reading several great books
- Instructional Design: Need/want to learn enough to successfully create e-books and e-courses, already reading several great blogs
- Languages: Want to (re-)learn several foreign languages, very curious to check out books and other resources because the “language hackers” seem the most ahead of the curve with quick/effective learning
- Management: Need/want to learn enough inter-/intra-personal skills to manage my health, money, relationships with others, and work, will have to sort through numerous resources
- Performance: Need/want to learn how to play and improvise on multiple instruments other than bass (top picks right now are drums, piano, and voice), will have to sort through numerous resources
- Speaking: Need to learn effective public speaking, want to incorporate techniques from stand-up comedy and improv, not sure what kinds of resources exist
- Writing: Want to improve my writing and transition away from an academic style to a more accessible one, will have to sort through numerous resources
I’m not sure how this will play out or what form it will take, but I’m relieved that my multiple interests are starting to become integrated. Stay tuned for musings, resources, and work examples from these 10 areas!